Executive Presence & Gravitas – Guiding Hi-potentials onto a Senior Leadership Trajectory
A common refrain from top management, is that too many hi-potentials at mid-management, despite being well educated and highly competent professionally, lack the Executive Presence and Gravitas that is required for senior promotions. Whether engaging with senior clients, at the Board meeting or in front of the Investment Committee, they carry themselves in an underwhelming fashion, a combination of poor presentation, lack of awareness of when and how to speak (or equally, when not to), or an inability to summarize matters strategically.
Very few, if any, are born with this innate ability. Like good leadership, it is often derived from trial and error, experience, and quiet observation. Executive Presence and Gravitas (a key differentiator), can be taught via simulations, role-playing and putting the individual in question, through scenarios that take them out of their comfort zone and forced to experience “real-world” circumstances. This is not something that can be read from a book, nor taught via PowerPoint. It has to be experienced to be absorbed. This discussion aims to explain how these exercises can be modelled to assist all senior leaders to put their hi-potentials through the rigors such that they emerge with the beginnings of Executive Presence and Gravitas, which is an enabler both for their own careers as well as the success of the business itself.
What the audience can expect:
- How to define Gravitas & Executive Presence
- Identify the key 8 missing attributes that inhibit Gravitas / Executive Presence
- Practical and actionable strategies to infuse hi-potentials with such attributes
About the speaker
Paul Hussey is a senior consultant for Black Isle Asia, a high-end boutique Executive Leadership & Communications specialist. He has spent the past 10 years as CEO of two Private Equity backed global enterprises, and led his management teams into two successful Exits. Paul specializes in advising leadership team on strategy and communications, especially as they prepare for strategic sales of Exits / IPOs. As a result of grooming many hi-potentials in acquiring Executive Presence and Gravitas, he had created Asia’s first high-touch programme that works with nominated participants. He started his career as a banker in Tokyo, before doing his MBA in the US. He speaks French, German and Japanese fluently, and in his spare time is a fanatical archer and backgammon player.
- Member: HK$ 270
- Non-Member: HK$ 350
- Y-Network Member: HK$ 170
- Start-up Member: HK$ 170
Terms & Conditions
- Reservations in advanced are required. Please consider your booking confirmed unless notified otherwise.
- Cancellations must be made in writing 24 hours prior to the event. No shows will be charged.
- This event is closed to the media.
- The event will be cancelled if the No.8 Typhoon signal or the Black Rain Storm warning is in force.
- By attending this event, you agree to be photographed and/or filmed and give permission to use your likeness in promotional and/or marketing materials.
- For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please make cheques payable to: "The British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong" & send it to Room 1201 Emperor Group Centre, 288 Hennessy Road, Hong Kong